Sponsored Links
-->

Friday, July 13, 2018

Contemporary classroom table / steel / melamine / laminate ...
src: img.archiexpo.com

.


Video Talk:Steelcase



Suggestion for major article update

Hello to anyone watching this page! I'm working on behalf of Steelcase to prepare suggestions for improving this article. As it is now, the article uses some unencyclopedic language and does not follow several of Wikipedia's guidelines. For example, it needs more inline citations, shouldn't use trademark symbols, should be written in prose rather than a list, and needs sentence case headings. In addition, the majority of sources cited are the company's own website. My goals for strengthening the article include reworking bulleted sections into prose, introducing reputable, secondary sourcing, and reorganizing information under standard headings. Because I have a conflict of interest, I will not be making any direct edits. Instead, I will give suggestions here on the Talk page and look for other editors to give feedback and make the changes if there is consensus.

I have several suggestions for new sections such as Company overview and Noteworthy products, but I'd like to suggest adding a new History section to start. Information about the company's history is currently incomplete and spread between sections. Some of it is written in the present tense and much of it lacks sourcing. I drafted a new section that incorporates the most noteworthy information (that I was able to find reliable sourcing to support) from what is already in the Company History and Milestones and Innovations sections, and I added additional facts found in my research on the company. My intention is for this draft to take the place of both Company History and Milestones and Innovations. Here's the draft:

If editors could please take a look and let me know what they think, I'd appreciate it. I'm open to any feedback regarding language, sourcing, or information included. In the case that everything looks OK, I'd ask that another editor move this to the live article. Thanks! Heatherer (talk) 18:51, 10 February 2015 (UTC)

This is tough. I notice already that you've santisized the history to delete, for instance, the lawsuit. This is exactly what companies don't get to write their Wikipedia entries. 842U (talk) 00:07, 24 February 2015 (UTC)
Hi 842U. Thanks for taking a look! I actually didn't remove the lawsuit or even change the wording from what's currently in the article. It appears in my draft at the end of the paragraph that begins "During the 1980s and 1990s..." I'd be fine with having that information appear in its own paragraph, if you'd like.
I understand your skepticism, but I was very careful to retain all important events that are mentioned in the article. As I said in my above message, my primary concerns when drafting were sourcing, encyclopedic language, and reorganization. If you feel there's anything else I missed, I'm happy to take a look and see if I can incorporate it. Thanks, Heatherer (talk) 15:59, 24 February 2015 (UTC)
The article benefits from the proposed rewrite of the Company History and Milestones and Innovations sections into one section History. You have documented the proposed rewrite on this talk page, and you seem to be aware of conflict of interest, original research etc. issues. I have edited the article with your rewrite. Editors are encouraged to make changes to the article. Gmcbjames (talk) 04:05, 17 March 2015 (UTC)

+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Thank you, Gmcbjames, for reviewing and moving the draft over! I also invite any other editors to make additions or comments on the section if they have any. In the meantime, I was wondering if you had time to review some more suggestions I have for the article? If so, I can prepare a few notes about what those changes are.

My intention was to present suggestions to interested editors section by section, but since I've had such difficulty finding editors to review the History section, I was thinking it might be easiest to post the rest in one or two additional messages, allowing clear separation in case they require separate discussion. I've placed everything in my user space here for now, but I am happy to work through it either way. What do you think? Thanks! Heatherer (talk) 16:37, 18 March 2015 (UTC)

Heatherer, I propose integrating your proposed new sections into the article. I have compared the current article with your rewrite, and believe the article will be improved. I also propose replacing the current introduction with your rewrite, updating the image for the infobox, and moving the current image from the infobox into the body of the article. After making these edits, I encourage editors to make improvements to the article and discuss on this talk page any issues needing to be addressed. I have a couple of suggestions for clarification and improvement I would like to make and will do so after editing the article with your proposals. On a side note, I would like to commend you for being open and honest regarding possible NOR, COI, and NPV issues and the willingness to seek consensus. Gmcbjames (talk) 18:12, 18 March 2015 (UTC)
This is now  Done. Cheers, Gmcbjames (talk) 18:18, 20 March 2015 (UTC)
I somehow missed this message, Gmcbjames. Thank you so much for all your help--I appreciate that you gave it such a thorough review! I've also responded to your note below. Hopefully, this article can be improved even further. Thanks again! Heatherer (talk) 20:44, 2 April 2015 (UTC)

Maps Talk:Steelcase



Images

This article could be improved by adding one or a couple of images of products mentioned in the section Noteworthy products. Gmcbjames (talk) 05:48, 21 March 2015 (UTC)

Good idea! I took a look to see if I could find any photos released under a Creative Commons 3.0 license, but no luck. I've reached out to Steelcase to see if they have any photos they'd be wiling to release. I'll let you know if I hear back. Thanks! Heatherer (talk) 20:41, 2 April 2015 (UTC)
Hi Gmcbjames! Good news: Steelcase has approved release of several product images that I've now uploaded on Wikimedia Commons. Each of the products are mentioned in the Noteworthy products section, and, additionally, "The Victor" and Series 9000 are also mentioned in the History section. Here are the links:
  • Victor wastebasket
  • Multiple 15 desk
  • Series 9000
  • Leap chair
  • Gesture seating
Do you think you would be able to add some of these to the article? Thanks! Heatherer (talk) 16:36, 5 May 2015 (UTC)
This is indeed good news Heatherer. I added the images to the article and with these additions, the article has been enhanced. If you would like to adjust the placement of the images or make minor edits to the image descriptions you may do so - or you can ask here. Thank you. Cheers Gmcbjames (talk) 17:41, 5 May 2015 (UTC)
Looks great, Gmcbjames! I don't think anything needs to be adjusted or edited. Thank you very much for your help. Heatherer (talk) 13:18, 6 May 2015 (UTC)

Source of the article : Wikipedia

Comments
0 Comments